Graduation Auditions are Coming up: sign up now!

Danielle Luna

Graduates attentively listening to the speakers impactful message.

Auditions for the 2023 graduation Ceremony start in mid-April. Sign-ups close on April 9th. Auditions will be held April 17th.

There are four categories: speech, singer, welcome greeting in Spanish, and welcome greeting in Tagalog. There will also be assigned student interpreters for American Sign Language. There will not be auditions held for this specific category.

Some basic requirements for the graduation speech will include a time limit of 2-3 minutes, which should be optimistic, and “will avoid cynicism and sarcasm.” The keys to a great graduation speech and what judges will look for will be relevancy, poignancy, and delivery. To access the form for graduation speech or song, click the link above.

Graduation song auditions will also be held to similar standards, however, the most important elements to include in the audition will be, “Stage presence, Tone quality, Emotional impact, Appropriate fit for the occasion as well as the audience,” according to the official sign up form. Groups are allowed and the names of every group member should be included when signing up to audition.

As for the welcome greetings in Spanish and Tagalog, the speech will be provided before the week of the 17th to anyone who signs up for practicing purposes. Faculty and Staff can not help with the memorization of the speech, but plenty of time will be provided to study, as well as having the sheet in front of you during the ceremony itself.

Though Hart high school has a Spanish greeting, most schools in the Hart District district don’t consistently represent the non-English speaking households that attend their schools during graduation. Golden Valley makes it clear that any student or family will be represented, appreciated, and accepted into the Grizzly Family.

Every year since 2019, Golden Valley has had a welcome in Spanish. The Tagalog greeting however, courtesy of Assistant Principal Brian Necessary, was just added last year and will be included in every graduation going forward. “I wanted to bring in and emphasize the cultures that make up a big part of Southern California,” says Necessary.

Past graduation speakers (Veniz Ryaen Jzanea)

Mr. Necessary brought multiple Spanish-speaking staff members to help create the Spanish message. Credits for this welcome go to Laura Gonzales, Irma Camara, Victoria Mendieta, Susana Smay, and Lia Boscarino. “Staff rewrote the welcome into Spanish in their own way to best capture the message and not get lost in translation.” Necessary adds. As for the Tagalog reading, credit goes out to the Fil-Am Association of Santa Clarita Valley and Jose Bareng.

The ASL interpretation is also presented by Golden Valley students, putting emphasis on the program with a mix of class levels. If you are a senior interested in auditioning for these important positions, the links are all found in this article and practice speeches will be supplied where needed.