How are phones influencing high school students from the teachers perspective?

March 2023- Students phones are stored away in Mr. Pateys Classroom.
March 2023- Students phones are stored away in Mr. Patey’s Classroom.
Andrew Osmond

Phones are an addiction to many, especially within the younger generation. Many teachers end up heavily restricting phones using basic reasons such as it’s a distraction or no reasoning at all. This causes students to feel frustrated as they feel like their electronics are being restricted for no real reason.

This sense of frustration can end up causing misunderstandings between both students and teachers, as students may be ignorant to their teachers actual reasoning.

As it turns out, teachers’ phone policies are a bit more complex than most students believe, as they are formed from a variety of factors within the classroom.

Brooks Iwamoto, a teacher working in the math department, states that “I do think phones are a big distraction for students nowadays.” He further elaborates explaining, “I think it’s kind of depressing when I see students sitting at a table and they’re all friends, and they’re all just on their phones instead of talking to each other.” Not only do phones hinder students ability to focus in class, but they also reduce socialization students have with their peers.

Iwamoto also emphasizes that the grade level and who he teaches play a role in his policies, stating “If I had to teach Algebra 1, with a bunch of freshmen I would collect phones.” However, he doesn’t collect phones in his AP Pre Calculus Class, since that class is mostly seniors and juniors.

On the contrary, some classes may have rather unique policies depending on the class being taught. A clear example of this is with Abigail Maimone’s Journalism class. She mentions during an interview that “Students use their cellphones quite efficiently, and you need them for the class.”

Cellphones in journalism can be helpful, assisting students with their day to day tasks.

“Seeing the nature of how the class was working, how students are using their cellphones in the class made me realize this is an important tool.”

— Ms.Maimone

Continued Ms.Maimone, further emphasizing that phones being restricted or allowed likely depends on the nature of the classroom, and how it generally functions.

Discussing the rationale behind these policies sheds light on their motivations. If phones are used incorrectly, they could damage our education as a whole.The same way they harm our social abilities in the real world with other people. Depending on the grade level, it also explains why some teachers may be more lenient with phones in a senior class compared to a class of freshmen due to a gap in maturity.

Regarding how a classroom functions, phones may be useful as a tool for the students’ learning . Teachers want to help students grow, and learn as effectively as possible. Which explains why they may have harsher phone policies, as they have proven harmful to a students learning experience. Meaning that teachers do not collect or restrict phones to punish students, but rather help them thrive within their schools.

Student Submissions
Submissions are now open !

Student Submissions are now open ! Submit your articles, poems, short stories, and opinion pieces. This month’s theme is Nostalgia although it’s not limited to it, it is strongly encouraged. We look forward to reading your amazing pieces !

Submit Your Pieces Here