Boy Scouts Hold Book Drive For Burned Elementary School Classroom

Sep 21st, 2023- The bookcase inside Ms. Maimones classroom.
Sep 21st, 2023- The bookcase inside Ms. Maimone’s classroom.
Evan Soukup

A classroom fire was reported at Old Orchard Elementary School on Sunday, September 3rd at 9:30 pm. With some major damage to the classroom, luckily no injuries were reported. However, many of the books and supplies were burned. Brady Novean, a student at Golden Valley High School, says, “I was coming back home from LA, driving in and there were a bunch of fire trucks. I asked them what was happening, and they told me there was a classroom that was on fire”.

When the fire was put out, the classroom ended up being so damaged that it was practically unusable. Books, cabinets, and supplies all needed to be replaced. Due to this unfortunate event, the Boy Scouts of Valencia wanted to set up a book drive to help this classroom resupply their books.

Brady is the Boy Scout who is organizing the book drive. He says, “I thought it was a good idea. Potentially getting a lot of people to donate books and or raise funds to replace cabinets and shelves”. Being a boy scout, he was trying to achieve the Eagle Scout Rank. He needed to set up a community service project, with this being a great opportunity.

However, Brady clarifies, “Even though I need to set up a community service project, I’m really doing this in order to do something nice for the community.” With his mom, Mrs. Novean, also being a teacher, Brady understands that they really do not make as much money as they should. The teacher had to spend a lot of her own money out of her pocket, and so he decided that he could go help out. Brady says that he himself has taken some books off his shelf and given them to the book drive.

If you want to donate books to help this cause, they have to be new/slightly used books in the 4-6th grade range, as it was a 5th grade classroom that was burned. So far, they have collected over 200 books, and it has been largely beneficial to the affected classroom. You can either drop them off in Room 409 or hand them to Brady himself. Although submissions for books have formally ended, if you email Mrs. Novean or Brady Novean they may still accept donations.

Student Submissions
Submissions are now open !

Student Submissions are now open ! Submit your articles, poems, short stories, and opinion pieces. This month’s theme is Nostalgia although it’s not limited to it, it is strongly encouraged. We look forward to reading your amazing pieces !

Submit Your Pieces Here

About the Contributors
Shadd Jimenez
Shadd Jimenez, Staff Writer
Shadd Jimenez is a high school senior, a staff writer for the Community News team, and he is a saxophone player in the Golden Valley High School Advanced Jazz Band. He has made numerous honor groups like the Colburn Jazz Combo, the William S. Hart District Jazz All-Stars big band, Hart District Honor Band, Marching Band, Symphonic Band, and many other bands. He was section leader in multiple bands, and is passionate about covering music and the arts. He is passionate about it because he is heavily involved in these topics, and is glad to be a part of the newspaper to research and talk about it. He is also glad to provide information about topics that most people do not know about, but that he finds very interesting. He wants to go to either UCLA or USC for jazz, but is also considering California Institute of the Arts, Manhattan School of Music, and New England Conservatory of Music.
Evan Soukup
Evan Soukup, Photographer
My name is Evan Soukup and I am a senior at golden valley high school, I graduate in december (one semester early) and I am really looking forward to starting college, with a large portfolio of sports awards I quit because I came to the realization that being 5’8 I am not going to make it to the nba. I am also the photographer for the Community News Team. As of march last year, I have started trading stocks and I love it. I know an incredible amount of sports so I do love writing about such and I workout and run far distances so I love to write about that as well. My favorite thing to do is to spend time with my family, specifically my brothers. I love them so much and we have so much fun together. I think journalism is a great skill to learn that will help to forward my career. Thank you for taking your time to read our articles. LOCK IN.