Shine Some Light on Golden valleys: BSU

India Watson (Far right with the microphone), one of BSUs officers, hosts a Family Feud tournament between their members, photo take on November 16th, 2023 at Golden Valley High School.
India Watson (Far right with the microphone), one of BSU’s officers, hosts a Family Feud tournament between their members, photo take on November 16th, 2023 at Golden Valley High School.
Dylan Vo

Shine Some Light on Golden Valley’s BSU

Meeting every Thursday at lunch in room 210 is the Black Student Union (BSU). This club is all about empowering the minds of young students through their inclusive well throughout activities and discussions. It is led by their president Tina Umassor and co-vice presidents Dara Faladon and Akina Ma’at.

“I was an active member throughout high school,” states . Tina, BSU President, hopes to teach students to “advocate for themselves and obstruct stereotypes.”. On the other hand, the next two leaders, co vice presidents Dara Faladon and Akina Ma’at, have their own goals in mind. Faladon wishes to “expand the club” along with Ma’at wishes to gain “more student engagement”.

India Watson (Far right with the microphone), one of BSU’s officers, hosts a Family Feud tournament between their members, photo take on November 16th, 2023 at Golden Valley High School. (Dylan Vo)

This empowering club thrives on well thought-out conversations and opinions between students. Although the club is centered around culture, there are plenty of fun and unique activities; such as slideshows, which are “hilarious, insightful, and meaningful.” Faladon states. Speaking about insight, BSU helps students advance in their ability to understand and connect with diffrent cultures through open ended discussions.

These discussions vary from significant topics, from the absence of African American celebrities winning in award ceremonies to the professionalism of bonnets and or hair scarves.

When it comes to award ceremonies, like the Emmys or Grammys, it is very rare that African Americans artists and actors are picked as winners. BSU took this idea and turned it into an activity for students to enjoy, “We had them pick African American celebrities they think should win,” stated Faladon. It’s activities that make this club so powerful, and “my favorite part at the club is the sense of community” Ma’at expressed.

Each member and leader is pleased with the amount of participation they experience. However, even after achieving many of their goals, they still wish to expand. “This year I am really glad that there are more lower classmen that joined the club,” expressed Umassor.

BSU has existed for many years throughout the community, but we have yet to see them all come together. Leaders are working to “collaborate with BSU’s across the district,” explains Faladon. Not only in this club, but BSU also wishes to connect with others throughout the community. At GV, BSU aspires to participate more throughout school events. “There has been extreme growth and I am proud that this club is a safe space for black students on campus,” Ma’at expressed.

If you are looking for an outlook on the diverse African American cultures, stereotypes, and rights, BSU is a club that can help students inside and outside gain awareness of this culture. This club “presents slideshows on topics that cover many different things in the black community, as well as other activities such as debates, games, and contests,” explains Ma’at, and are grateful for all new members. feel free to join through Google classroom with the code: wtcvdyh.

Student Submissions
Submissions are now open !

Student Submissions are now open ! Submit your articles, poems, short stories, and opinion pieces. This month’s theme is Nostalgia although it’s not limited to it, it is strongly encouraged. We look forward to reading your amazing pieces !

Submit Your Pieces Here

About the Contributors
Janai Holland
Janai Holland, Section Editor
Janai Holland, is currently a senior and a Section Editor on the Campus News Team for the Grizzly Gazette.  She is in two diffrent levels of theater. Theater two is children's theater which requires me to have a good personality and be very energetic and theater three is the main stage production, which is the play produced for the school. She is very passionate about storytelling, poetry, and music. She is a part of Golden valleys new clubs, Fables and Films. She is a current member of NSHSS. She is very excited to talk about the Golden Valley community in general, which may include details about new and upcoming clubs, our arts department, and give insight on some students and topics we as a community are unaware about. Writing about these topics will not only be compelling to write about but it will also captivate our audience and give them more information that is valuable to them. Being a student journalist allows her to gain a better understanding of where she goes everyday along with trying to give this same understanding if not a better one to the people in our community.
Dylan Vo
Dylan Vo, Photographer
Dylan Vo is the photographer for the Campus News Team of the Grizzly Gazette. He is currently a senior at Golden Valley High School and has been attending it since his freshman year. On top of his position in the Grizzly Gazette, he is also the Treasurer of both SkillsUSA and DFY in SCV, participates in clubs like Asian Student Union, CSF, and DEI, is a CTE Pathway Completer, and has plenty of hours and experience in community service. He also possesses a Youtube channel with over 1,000 subscribers that documents various topics within video game communities. Some of his interests include editing and posting videos, using Photoshop to create new images and designs, and watching TV shows on platforms like Disney Plus and Netflix. The main reason he joined the Grizzly Gazette was to enhance his journalism skills not only for his channel, but also for the greater good of the school through its newspaper. A couple of topics he covers here at the Grizzly Gazette are campus and online news since he believes students and staff should learn more about the activity occurring on both school grounds and the internet. To him, being a student journalist means not only being a part of something that can make a positive impact on the school, but also exposing writers to both new and old skills that can assist them throughout their lives.