The Top New Jazz Artist In Modern Music: Samara Joy

Samara Joy won a Grammy for best new artist, and her jazz album Linger Awhile. Her career as a jazz artist was already successful, but after this it really took off.
Samara Joy won a Grammy for best new artist, and her jazz album “Linger Awhile.” Her career as a jazz artist was already successful, but after this it really took off.
Instagram: @samarajoysings

During the Grammys, hosted on January 5, 2023, Samara Joy shocked the world of music by winning not one, but two Grammys. Samara Joy has been a huge name in the recent modern Jazz scene, known for blending old school Jazz with hints of modern R&B.

Even before winning her Grammy, Samara Joy was a very accomplished Jazz vocalist, winning the Sarah Vaughn International Jazz Vocal Competition. In addition to this, in 2021 continuing into 2022, she toured the U.S.. In her tour, she had bookings at the 2022 Monterey Jazz Festival– one of the largest Jazz festivals in the nation– Lincoln Center Summer For The City’s Jazz Underground series, and more festivals on the same tour.

Background: This aspiring Jazz Artist was born on November 11, 1999. She is a 24 year old Jazz vocalist based in Castle Hill New York.

Samara Joy’s success sort of started with her posting videos online. She had released a number of videos that went viral, including one that reached 1.5 million views. These videos gained her over 200,000 followers on TikTok and led to her to have the audience she does now.

The Grizzly Gazette conducted an interview with interviewees Kiera Rubenstein and Sophia Perez, both 9’th graders rhat go to Golden Valley High School are both listeners of Samara Joy. Both of them have listened to Samara joy for only about 6 months. They discovered her after she had won her Grammys. Both listen to her on a daily basis, and Samara’s music is something both consider exemplary and touching. From Keira Rubenstein: “She’s definitely a new female jazz voice that people can look up to.” From Sophia Perez: “I think her Grammy will bring back the popularity of jazz music.”

With Samara Joy’s newly found fame from her Grammy winnings, many more people have started listening to her music. On Spotify, she has 963,000+ listeners, and that number is continuing to grow. The future of Jazz looks bright with new artists like Samara Joy entering the scene, and this award winning artist will serve as an inspiration to many Jazz artists to come.

Student Submissions
Submissions are now open !

Student Submissions are now open ! Submit your articles, poems, short stories, and opinion pieces. This month’s theme is Nostalgia although it’s not limited to it, it is strongly encouraged. We look forward to reading your amazing pieces !

Submit Your Pieces Here

About the Contributors
Matias Castro
Matias Castro, Staff Writer
Matias Castro is a student journalist who is a high school senior and a saxophonist. He is one of the staff writers of the Campus News Team for the Grizzly Gazette. He is in the school Marching band, Symphonic band, and Advanced jazz band. He was a part of the William S. Hart district honor jazz band for the last two years and in the Hart District Symphonic Honor Band for two years. He also did the Colburn jazz workshop last year and is currently in a jazz combo and big band at colburn. He likes covering music topics, mostly jazz related. He is passionate about this topic because he is involved in this and music takes up most of the time in his life. Being a part of a student newspaper means a lot to him as he will be able to write about things he is passionate about and will be able to express his thoughts. Some hobbies of his are playing the alto saxophone and  jazz is one of his main interests.
Daniel Spears
Daniel Spears, Staff Writer
Daniel Spears is a high school senior, a staff writer for the Campus News Team, and an aspiring saxophone player in the Santa Clarita Valley. He is in all of the band programs at school, including marching band, symphonic band, and advanced jazz band. He has made numerous honor groups through the William S. Hart School district, including the Hart District honor band for 2 years, and the Hart District honor jazz band for 1 year. The people selected to be in these groups are among some of the best musicians in the district, and potentially in the entire valley or state. Writing and researching music and the arts are what stand out to him the most, and covering these topics is definitely a specialty of his. Music is a big part of his life, and is what takes up most of his time outside of school. Being a part of the student newspaper, he wishes to cover topics that may be lesser known to people on the outside reading in.