Heres the Real Solution to School Shootings

Enabling gun control laws will continue to keep students safe and comfort our families knowing their kids are protected.
Ashlynn Escobar

“’When I went to the backpacks, he shot my friend that was next to me, and I thought he was going to come back to the room, so I grabbed a little blood and put it all over me,’”said Miah Cerrillo, a student who went to Robb Elementary School during the 2022 shooting. She was only 11 years old. School shootings have been growing more and more by the day in America. In just 2023, there have been over 200 shootings.

The memory lives on forever of the students who passed away in the Ulvade Robb Elementary School shooting. (Ashlynn Escobar)

Robb Elementary School Texas
The Uvalde school shooting was a mass shooting that happened on May 24, 2022 starting at 9:28 am, at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, United States. When an 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, a previous understudy at the school. He shot 19 understudies and two instructors, where as 17 others were harmed but survived.

The students who lives were taken away too soon:
Nevaeh Alyssa Bravo (10 years old),
Jacklyn Jaylen Cazares (9 years old),
Makenna Lee Elrod (10 years old),
Jose Flores Jr. (10 years old)
Uziyah Garcia (10 years old)
Amerie Jo Garza(10 years old)
Jayce Carmelo Luevanos (10 years old)
Xavier Javier Lopez (10 years old)
Tess Marie Mata (10 years old)
Maranda Mathis (11 years old)
Alithia Ramirez (10 years old)
Annabell Guadalupe Rodriguez (10 years old)
Maite Rodriguez (10 years old)
Alexandria ‘Lexi’ Rubio (10 years old)
Layla Salazar (11 years old)
Jailah Nicole Silguero(10 years old)
Eliahna ‘Elijah’ Cruz Torres (10 years old
Rojelio Torres (10 years old)
and sadly two teachers
Eva Mireles (44 years old)
Irma Garcia (48 years old)

All of the Texas community, especially in Uvalde, were traumatically devastated. Currently, in 2024, Robb Elementary School is being demolished and reconstructed into a new elementary school.

Kurv.com states “The new school will replace Robb Elementary, the site of the deadly 2022 school shooting. The district says it still needs about 20-million-dollars to complete the project. School officials are working on fundraising with the Uvalde Moving Forward Foundation.”

Saugus High School California
On November 14, 2019, at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita California, a school shooting occurred when a understudy with a firearm, recognized as 16-year-old, shot five classmates, murdering two, and shortly after, turned the firearm on himself. Publicly available knowledge says that, “Towards the end of period 1, classes at Saugus High School on November 14, 2019, while some students were in the outside courtyard or quad, Saugus High School junior Nathaniel Berhow pulled a handgun from his backpack, and fired on fellow students there.”

Students at Saugus High School CA minutes after the shooting found their escape route to Central Park. (Ashlynn Escobar)

Experiencing a traumatic event, such as losing your best friend, can affect your well-being to a great extent. An anonymous interviewee, who was a student at Saugus high at the time of the shooting and has since graduated, mentioned, “I was bestfriends with Gracie Muehlberger. The death of her has taken a toll on my mental health. She didn’t deserve this.

The two students who were sadly killed were Gracie Muehlberger and Domick Blackwell.
The former student also shared, “Every day, I wish this date never happened or something was stopped to prevent this from happening.”

According to the LA Times, The Blackwell and Muehlberger family who sadly lost their children’s lives are suing the Hart District in a lawsuit that began in 2020 and is currently ongoing.

Everyone makes mistakes, all though this wasn’t a small mistake things happened. Due to having little gun control regulations, bigger mistakes are going to have a continuation and an impact on America.

Imagine waking up to realize your child attending school one morning, will never be returning home. The government and communities around the nation have dealt with so many mass shootings throughout the years, but have only recognized a few.

President Joe Biden has claimed in his speech that he has attended to every “mass shooting site” Biden falsely claims, “Facts First: Biden has not been to even close to “every” mass shooting site – even if he was referring only to mass shootings during his presidency.

According to CNN “Minutes later in the same Friday speech, he said, our country has experienced more than 500 mass shootings, so far in 2023 alone; Biden has made one trip this year in connection to a specific mass shooting. He made three such trips in 2021 and 2022 combined.” As president, isn’t it their duty to protect all of the country?

As a president, Biden should push congress to pass nationwide gun control laws, because not only have there been school shootings, but also mass shootings and drive-by shootings,which have become far too normalized. Adding more gun regulations could guarantee the world to be a safer place.

Why is it that people only tend to care when you’re gone?

About the Contributor
Ashlynn Escobar
Ashlynn Escobar, Staff Writer
Lynn was born in Antelope Valley California, but raised in Santa Clarita the rest of her life after she turned 1 years old. They are now a senior at Golden Valley High School and a staff writer for the CEPAT News Team. Her family is very involved with her and wants her to succeed.  She is involved with their school club called HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America). She’s also involved with theater arts (children theater). She has been in theater for 3 years of her high school years. She is very passionate to be talking about medical and health related topics. She is very passionate because she sees herself getting into the medical field. Being a journalist is  new to her, but she hopes to share more of the issues of art and creativity in our world by educating people about art, culture, entertainment and how it's made. Ashlynn is very interested in anything horror, loves Vampire Diaries, and loves Spiderman!