Black and Gold Recap

After the main show, the 8th graders were given the opportunity to learn more in-depth about GVs CLORGs by visiting their corresponding booths. Some of these CLORGS include ASB, GVTV, ROTC, Mock Trial, DFY in SCV, and yours truly, the Grizzly Gazette. - Photo taken on March 7th, 2024 at Golden Valley High School
After the main show, the 8th graders were given the opportunity to learn more in-depth about GV’s CLORGs by visiting their corresponding booths. Some of these CLORGS include ASB, GVTV, ROTC, Mock Trial, DFY in SCV, and yours truly, the Grizzly Gazette. – Photo taken on March 7th, 2024 at Golden Valley High School
Dylan Vo

Black and Gold Day: What Golden Valley Has to Offer

Golden Valley has welcomed incoming freshmen for the upcoming school year at Black and Gold Day. On Thursday, March 7th , Students from La Mesa Jr High came to Golden Valley to see what the campus has to offer. At this event clubs, events, and more were showcased.

Golden Valley High School’s students, staff, and band line up to greet 8th graders as they enter the high school’s gym for Black and Gold Day. – Photo taken March 7th, 2024 at Golden Valley High School (Dylan Vo)

Starting off strong, Golden Valley welcomed incoming freshmen who were greeted by ASB, Band, Cheer, and Color Guard. Anxious but excited La Mesa students took part in a “finish the lyric game”, displaying songs from Frank Ocean, Harry Styles, and Pink Pantheress, bringing the class of 2028 out of their comfort zone.

Mr. Frias, (Right) Golden Valley High School’s principal, welcomes an 8th grader and future student by shaking their hand as they enter the gym. – Photo taken March 7th, 2024 at Golden Valley High School (Dylan Vo)

When all the students filtered in, GV’s band and choir joined together for a performance of our national anthem, allowing Mr. Frias to then take the stage with a speech getting students pumped for their next academic year.

Performing arts gave a sneak-peek of their spring production “Little Shop of Horrors”. They got the crowd excited about the theater’s next two productions which are Midsummer Nights Dream, and Guys and Dolls the Musical.

After an outstanding performance from theater, Jack Stidle, a member of Golden Valley’s baseball team, introduced all the team captains for spring sports, allowing Ballet Folklorico to then show off the hispanic culture with a performance. “I hope to inspire newcomers to dance so they can join something they never thought they could do” says Sophia Garrigo, a member of the club.

Black and Gold Day featured numerous performances from many different CLORGs as a way to show the 8th graders the opportunities they have here at Golden Valley. The CLORGs consisted of Theater, Baile Folklorico, Dance, Choir, Band, and Cheer. – Photo taken March 7th, 2024 at Golden Valley High School (Dylan Vo)

There were many amazing performances, but the next one La Mesa students had a lot to say about, with comments like “The dance team was my favorite because they did really good” said Reigen Nelson, and “The dance team was amazing” said Della Rodrigues. The dance team had many students who were interested in joining the team.

Freshmen are then brought to the hanging tree with show choirs award winning competition set The Hunger Games. “I really hope people find their group because high school is hard,” Oakley Ramos, a choir member, states.

For the final performance, Band and Cheer joined together for Golden Valley’s fight song, giving everyone time to walk to their tables before La Mesa students walked in.“I’m looking forward to finding new activities and finding new friends”.

Finally, La Mesa students are given the opportunity to see all the extra-curriculars Golden Valley has to offer. Walking through the gym, students meet club members and team members in order to see if they want to participate in anything next school year.

About the Contributors
Janai Holland
Janai Holland, Section Editor
Janai Holland, is currently a senior and a Section Editor on the Campus News Team for the Grizzly Gazette.  She is in two diffrent levels of theater. Theater two is children's theater which requires me to have a good personality and be very energetic and theater three is the main stage production, which is the play produced for the school. She is very passionate about storytelling, poetry, and music. She is a part of Golden valleys new clubs, Fables and Films. She is a current member of NSHSS. She is very excited to talk about the Golden Valley community in general, which may include details about new and upcoming clubs, our arts department, and give insight on some students and topics we as a community are unaware about. Writing about these topics will not only be compelling to write about but it will also captivate our audience and give them more information that is valuable to them. Being a student journalist allows her to gain a better understanding of where she goes everyday along with trying to give this same understanding if not a better one to the people in our community.
Dylan Vo
Dylan Vo, Photographer
Dylan Vo is the photographer for the Campus News Team of the Grizzly Gazette. He is currently a senior at Golden Valley High School and has been attending it since his freshman year. On top of his position in the Grizzly Gazette, he is also the Treasurer of both SkillsUSA and DFY in SCV, participates in clubs like Asian Student Union, CSF, and DEI, is a CTE Pathway Completer, and has plenty of hours and experience in community service. He also possesses a Youtube channel with over 1,000 subscribers that documents various topics within video game communities. Some of his interests include editing and posting videos, using Photoshop to create new images and designs, and watching TV shows on platforms like Disney Plus and Netflix. The main reason he joined the Grizzly Gazette was to enhance his journalism skills not only for his channel, but also for the greater good of the school through its newspaper. A couple of topics he covers here at the Grizzly Gazette are campus and online news since he believes students and staff should learn more about the activity occurring on both school grounds and the internet. To him, being a student journalist means not only being a part of something that can make a positive impact on the school, but also exposing writers to both new and old skills that can assist them throughout their lives.