Brandon Wright: Golden Valley Baseball’s Next Collegiate Athlete

Brandon Wright with entire GV Baseball team, as they support him for his signing to Goshen College
Noa Prothais

Golden Valley has a new college commitment, the first baseball commit of the school year for the Grizzlies. Senior pitcher Brandon Wright is committed to continuing his academic, and athletic career at Goshen College, an NAIA school in Goshen, Indiana.

Brandon Wright signing off to Goshen College on Tuesday, March 26, 2024 (Noa Prothais)

Wright has been pitching for Golden Valley since his sophomore year when he moved to Santa Clarita. He has pitched on varsity since he was a junior, striking out 52 hitters in 34 innings in his varsity career. Wright has arguably been the Grizzlies’ best pitcher this year, with 28 strikeouts, leading the team.

Wright has been playing baseball since he was three, and plays the game because “Baseball has become a large part of my life and I would feel incomplete without it.”

Brandon Wright with his parents on his left, Daniel Barron, his father, and on his right, Karin Wright, his mother (Noa Prothais)

He credits much of his success to Golden Valley assistant coach Marc Kennedy. Wright says that without Kennedy, “I wouldn’t be in the same place I am right now.”

Coach Kennedy says that the area that Brandon has improved the most is “Stuff overall. Stuff meaning velocity, and spin rate on the breaking ball. I think this last summer and fall, the amount of time spent in the weight room had an impact on him becoming the kind of pitcher he needed to become in college.”

In college, Kennedy says Wright, “is gonna have to grind, his spot’s not guaranteed. If he continues to focus on his health and getting more athletic, he’s going to be alright.”

Wright says “I feel most confident that I’m going to find my way onto the field, and help my college win.”

Brandon Wright with the rest of the Golden Valley Baseball seniors (Noa Prothais)

Wright says he chose Goshen, “Because the school had good academic options to start, and then seeing the facilities, and meeting the team, it was very welcoming, and seemed like a place I fit in.” Goshen’s baseball team is currently 11-17, and Wright will be joining a pitching staff that has seen struggles recently, with a team ERA of 10.03.

He signed his letter of intent on Tuesday, March 26, before Golden Valley Baseball’s home game against Canyon, a game where the Grizzlies defeated Canyon 7-4, powered by a seven-run third inning that saw the Grizzlies bring 11 hitters to the plate. Wright worked a walk and later scored a run in the win.

Brandon is the Grizzlies’ best reliever, and comes in late in the game. Golden Valley will play Saugus on the road on April 10, and will take them on at home on April 12.

About the Contributors
Brayden Brewer
Brayden Brewer, Staff Writer
Brayden Brewer is a staff writer for the Grizzly Gazette on the Sports News Team and the captain of the baseball team here at Golden Valley. He is a senior who has played baseball all four years of high school and has a deep interest and understanding in the world of sports. Aside from sports, he loves country music and lifting weights. His favorite artist is Zach Bryan.  Brayden wants to go into sports journalism in college and continue with it as a career. He wants to cover all of the sports that he can at Golden Valley, and continues to regularly attend GV sports events. Brayden’s favorite teams are the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Kings, and his favorite baseball  players are Aaron Judge, Gerrit Cole, and Anthony Volpe. His favorite hockey player is Adrian Kempe because he is the best scorer the Kings have had since the greatest hockey player of all time, Wayne Gretzky. He also loves watching Penn State football on Saturdays and is excited for the Drew Allar era.
Noa Prothais
Noa Prothais, Staff Writer
Noa Prothais is in 10th grade, she is bilingual in French and english. She is a staff writer on the Sports News Team for the Grizzly Gazette. Outside of school work Noa is part of the XC and Track team, and after school she does ballet. She's on varsity for both Track and XC and has been doing ballet for almost 9-10 years. After only doing track for a few months last year she went to CIF. Being an athlete she’s very passionate about writing sports so that she can hopefully share the journey of individual teams or student athlete, she wants to be able to share about personal records and team environment to encourage the respect and time it takes to commit to a sport, she’d also like to write about student spotlight stories or CEPAT, because it involves more than one topic. She really wants to be part of the grizzly gazette to learn more about this profession to hopefully pursue this in the future. She loves writing, running, and dancing, occasionally drawing.