The Next Ruthless Epidemic That’s Sunk Americans To New Despair

The Next Ruthless Epidemic Thats Sunk Americans To New Despair

Loneliness is America’s next epidemic, and it’s already here. A concerning amount of Americans have sunk into this low crippling feeling of isolation. How will this lack of human connection impact our future?

Human interaction is a very important part of our daily lives. Removing this interaction can have detrimental effects on one’s mental health in several ways. For us to function normally, human interaction is a necessity as we are naturally social creatures.

(Ashlynn Escobar)

Jane E. Brody, an author for the New York Times mentions, “People who are chronically lacking in social contacts are more likely to experience elevated levels of stress and inflammation. These, in turn, can undermine the well-being of nearly every bodily system, including the brain.” Meaning it is harmful for humans to lack social interaction, whether it be physically or mentally damaging to one’s health. But what are some of these harmful effects?

The American Psychology Association explains that, “Hawkley(a co-author for the Royal Society) points to evidence linking perceived social isolation with adverse health consequences including depression, poor sleep quality, impaired executive function, accelerated cognitive decline, poor cardiovascular function and impaired immunity at every stage of life.” These consequences of isolation are quite dangerous for anybody, as the mental issues such as poor sleep, and depression may further transform into more repercussions the longer it goes on. Not only that, but poor cardiovascular function can lead to heart problems, which is extremely problematic regarding physical health.

What are some of the causes of loneliness within our youth? And what can we do to help? As for what we can do to help people suffering from loneliness, it’s a far more complex issue than what people make it out to be.

People experience loneliness for a vast amount of reasons; it may be due to a lack of companionship, lack of a romantic relationship, feeling misunderstood, the list goes on. The way you can help these people will differ most times as the cause of loneliness can be so different for each person.

What are some of the causes of loneliness within our youth? And what can we do to help? Many people experience relief from this affliction with human connections, such as friendships. How is our youth affected by this, and what would they suggest others to do to feel better?

We asked a student at Golden Valley about their experience with loneliness, and a senior Josh Bucatt responded with, “I felt, I guess depressed, and a little hopeless about school.” This issue with loneliness afflicts students with waves of depression, which may spiral more out of control if their grades are affected.

Josh was also asked about advice he’d give to those who are struggling with loneliness. He advised that, “eventually you will find the people in your life, don’t try to force it onto others, but they’ll find their way towards you. They’re gonna be worth it if it happens naturally.” The advice he gave of finding the right people naturally, is something he feels helped him through his loneliness.

Despite this epidemic growing rapidly, it can be contained if we choose to have compassion and empathy for those around us. Many resources for loneliness can be found here for anyone that needs help.

As for students here at Golden Valley, you have access to the Growl Center whenever you need to talk to someone as well as counselors who would be happy to have a conversation.

About the Contributors
Ryan Urbina
Ryan Urbina, Staff Writer
My name is Ryan Urbina, and I’m a senior at Golden Valley high school as well as a staff writer on the Community News Team for the Grizzly Gazette. Some extracurricular activities I'm a part of are CSF, literature club, chess club, Asian student union, business club, and mock trial. I’ve gotten a chess trophy in a tournament, and used to be a co-vice president in the SkillsUSA for a semester. My main passion, which I'd like to cover, is creative writing. Creative writing is my favorite form of expression, whether it be short stories or poems. I’m a large fan of both forms of creative writing, and it’s one of my true passions in life. I write to understand myself and my emotions, and I feel like that makes my style unique compared to others. Being a student journalist means a lot to me so I’m able to express my writing to a much larger audience, and I would enjoy building a portfolio of my work. I hope my writing can create a positive impact on this newspaper.
Ashlynn Escobar
Ashlynn Escobar, Staff Writer
Lynn was born in Antelope Valley California, but raised in Santa Clarita the rest of her life after she turned 1 years old. They are now a senior at Golden Valley High School and a staff writer for the CEPAT News Team. Her family is very involved with her and wants her to succeed.  She is involved with their school club called HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America). She’s also involved with theater arts (children theater). She has been in theater for 3 years of her high school years. She is very passionate to be talking about medical and health related topics. She is very passionate because she sees herself getting into the medical field. Being a journalist is  new to her, but she hopes to share more of the issues of art and creativity in our world by educating people about art, culture, entertainment and how it's made. Ashlynn is very interested in anything horror, loves Vampire Diaries, and loves Spiderman!