Huge Uprise of Violence in Schools and Nearby Communities: When Will it End?

Arthur Betancourt

Mid Stairs at Golden Valley showing the cafeteria

In our recent society as a whole, there has been an increase in gun violence across America, especially in schools. While not all gun violence ends in deaths or injuries, the point is that violence has been coming and going in waves, especially in schools.

According to Everytown Research, “In 2023 there were at least 42 incidents of gunfire on school grounds, resulting in 17 deaths and 32 injuries nationally.” This same source reports 66 accounts of gun violence in schools from 2013 to 2023.

When it comes to Golden Valley and the safety of all students, Principle Sal Frias reminds students: “Watch your surroundings, walk with a friend or two, and hang out with the right people that you might know what they won’t do.” Knowing how to stay safe on and off campus is a key step in the right direction to a safer campus.

GV’s on-campus deputy, Officer Martinez, emphasized, “I hope, as a society, we can work together and value peace over violence and unity over division.” He then added that school resource officers and deputies are a major component of why schools in Hart District are so safe.

Both Mr. Frias and Officer Martinez equally stated they are optimistic about the future and want students to be safe.

The Education Code in Article 5 School Safety Plans in section 32282.1 Subsection 1 states, “Primary strategies to create and maintain a positive school climate, promote school safety, and increases pupil achievement, and prioritizes mental health and intervention services, restorative and transformative justice programs, and positive behavior interventions and support.” This shows that all of these things are needed to keep schools as safe as possible for students to feel completely comfortable.

There has also been violence in the Santa Clarita community, including the Newhall shooting, an altercation at Valencia, and the shooting by Saugus High School.

A student from GV who lives in the Village Apartments in Newhall, spoke to The Gazette on account of what he had witnessed. “ I heard five loud shots. I thought it was coming from the streets, but I heard it was inside the community pool. I heard a neighbor cry out ‘Are you okay?’ and that’s when people came out and saw the tragedy.”

An email that everyone in the district got said, “It is with sadness that we inform our community of a situation that occurred on the Valencia High School campus today (Friday 28th) where two students were involved in an altercation and injured. During the course of this altercation, one student was stabbed.”

To end off on a decent note, violence, in general, is no joke, scary and heartbreaking. All our community and people can do is hope this wave of violence will decrease and students can actually feel safe in this crazy world.

For more about how Golden Valley and the Hart District has implemented safety measures across our campuses, check out the September 2022 publication Prevention of Targeted Campus Violence: Hart District’s Plan of Action.

If you or someone you know needs help, please contact a source below:

GV Student Care Line – 661-375-7297 or email [email protected]
Wellness Center Request and Referral for Support
Email your counselor for extra help and support (can refer you to a school therapist or external help, if needed) here is the counseling page
Teen Line -Text TEEN to 839863 (peer counselors can help at 6pm to 9pm)
Crisis Text Line -Text HELLO to 741741 (free 24/7)
Any other resources can be found on the William S. Hart Union High School District website